Thursday, September 29, 2011

One of Those Weeks

This week is one of those weeks that I have every couple of months where I feel like everything that has been working - routine, discipline, activities - gets thrown out the door and my kids are replaced with new versions of themselves that have totally different needs, wants and reactions.

Deep breath.

The good news: usually after a few days of a heightened amount of screaming, butting of heads and extreme feelings of guilt and frustration, something adjusts (I try to change my approach and be really conscious of how I respond to things) and things settle down to the normal amount of craziness and enjoyment, cooperation and being able to turn my back for longer than a millisecond returns.

Maybe it's the start of school, exposure to new kids, growth spurts, I'm not sure, but my eldest specifically has been pushing the limit, BIG time. Everything is a push back - what he wants for snack, what park he wants to go to (really? is there such thing as an un-fun park?) and he seems to have a need for a lot more physical activity. He goes in waves from being so exhausted he can barely keep his eyes open to running around the house in circles looking for sparring partners.

Today I can laugh about it. Yesterday was insane.

Don't you find these changes and stages so tough. It is true what they say, "right when you have things figured out with your kids, things change again ..."

I do think it is these stages that test you as parents and make us rise to the occasion if we want to do our jobs as a parents well. Screaming and screaming and being angry all the time is one option ... or you can sit back, evaluate and make some changes. Ahhhhh  being a (good) stay-at-home Mom is by far THE most challenging and ever-changing job I have ever had in my life.

Hope you're NOT having one of those week!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I totally here you on the 'push-back front' my daughter is doing the same. PLus we have major childcare issues & changes now...so everything has been stressing me out big time....i can't wait till I have one of those' good weeks'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! Such ups and downs as a Mom/parent. Good destresser: go take a walk/run, bad, but preferred destresser: find something really sweet and indulgent and enjoy it. Thanks for reading and bearing with my lack of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, was so happy to see a notification of a new post in my email today. I had been wondering how the start of school had been going on your end. I have been dealing with a lot of the same issues. The attitude, defiances, and the plain old just not listening has made me so crazy some days. I have started reading a great book called "Kids are worth it" by Barbara Colorosso. Although I have just started, it seems to have a lot of great insights and it deals with issues from when your kids are very small, right through the teenage years. I'll report back when I am done, but next time you are in Chapters you should seek it out to see if you would benefit from it. Glad to know I am not the only one going berserk some days though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie: Yes, let me know about the book. i find with books like that you either totally connect or totally don't so I'll be curious to hear what your overall impression is. I lived by the baby whisperer when the boys were younger but haven't found my go-to for the older years. Sorry for no posts ... will try to have a few more up shortly and more regularly. Have literally had no time. I thought I would have more with school, but it has been quite crazy. good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...