Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Updating Your Closet Without Shopping


I have recently been trying my skills at tweaking the clothes that I have (rather than getting rid of and finding new).  The results have been quite successful and rewarding (costs a fraction of the price of buying new and you get to keep on wearing all of your favourite clothes).  Let me explain:  I have found myself an amazing seamstress friend and shoe repair guy that are both super reasonable in the fees that they charge (especially the seamstress) and excellent at what they do.  


During the past few months, I have taken various dresses, skirts, jeans and shoes to these two miracle workers and have been given back sleeker, chicer, better fitting, versions of the originals.  

A few examples:  
  • At no cost (because it was such a simple fix) a semi formal dress I bought in 2005 that had a dated asymmetrical hemline but still a very beautiful and classic pattern was chopped up to just above the knee
  • Multiple skirts and dresses that  fell to that awkward "just below the knee" spot, chopped and sassed up for just around $10 a piece
  • Jeans brought in at the waist that I now don't have to hike up after I bend over
  • And a pair of boots that were slouchy and high and just hard to wear chopped to ankle boots and now worn everyday.  
And anyone remember these shoes I bought in the spring?


After wearing a couple of times, I was cursing myself as I loved the overall shape and height of the shoe, but I'm just not a bow person (too finicky and detailed for me) .... well, for $16.99 in alterations, I picked up the new version of these shoes that look like this:


Now for those of you who like bows, maybe you prefer the "before," but I'm so pleased with the results. I will get much more wear out of these and will no longer be asking my husband,  "do the bows look funny?" every time I try to wear them.

Moral of the story:  find yourself a seamstress and shoe guy and have some fun updating your closet (or fixing your purchases) so they fit you and your tastes perfectly!

1 comment:

  1. great idea! i think finding a really good tailor/seamstress is the key. i think most of us these days would be keen on trying to re-cycle and re-vamp what we already own. good for the conscience too! nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...