Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Failed As A Mother: Recovering from Blankie Loss

Last week I failed as a mother ... I lost my son's blankie.

He is Linus when it comes to his blankie and loves it soo much.  To fully understand, you would have to see his sweet face and the sheer pleasure and security he feels as he reaches for his cozy fleece blanket, pulls it close to his face and then buries his head in it, surrounding himself with the wonderfulness it brings him.

And I lost it!

We were at the mall last week, didn't bring my usual stroller so we got one of those obnoxious mall fire-truck strollers.  My youngest dropped his blanket a couple of times (gross!) and I recovered it, but then when we were all packed up, stroller returned, back in the car and ready to pull away, I realized the blankie was missing!!!

Pulse elevating, mind swirling, frantically retracing my steps - nothing.  My eldest son saying so sweetly, "how is he going to fall asleep without his blankie?"  My fear exactly.

I found a shopping cart (remember I didn't have my stroller) and tore around the mall, taking my kids out to go up the escalator, finding another cart, going to every single store I had been in (six) and looking in the main areas ... NOTHING! Guest services - nothing!

I helplessly left my name, number and the description of the blanket with the guest services clerk, knowing that she didn't "get it" and knowing that I was not going to be getting a call from her - ever. It has his name on it for goodness sake.

When I got home, I called the person that had given it to us as a gift asking where they had gotten it. Luckily ... Toys R Us.  I called mall guest services a few hours later and again the next day - nothing.   I then called around to a whole pile of stores, NOTHING!  Then miraculously found a store that had some stock, ordered two and picked it up two days later (it was an hour away). I think my son knew it wasn't the exact one but he quickly adjusted to being Linus again and loves his two new blankies. 

Deep exhale.

What an adventure!

Do yourself a favour, don't bring blankies to public places!

Sincerely,


LadySmith

4 comments:

  1. Umm...I still have mine from when I was a kid. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too. Husband as well, but his is in much worse shape. he liked to eat things :) here's hoping i can keep these ones long into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrong title ... you excelled as a mother ... you got a replacement!!1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the vote of confidence Sharon. I feel better now, but the day it happened was horrible. Atleast he is happy now - he's got two, where before he only had one! (I just won't bring them both out of the house at the same time)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...