Thursday, February 17, 2011

Creepy Crawlies or Snow?

It's about this time of year that you over hear conversation that include: " ... why do we live here? ..." The snow, the cold, lack of sunshine and below zero temperatures start wearing on us Canadians come mid-February.

After today's visit to Reptilia - a reptile zoo with snakes, crocs and other reptiles - I was reminded why I do live here.  As I was looking at all of these creatures (thankfully with a pane of glass between us), I noticed that in the posters describing each creature and where they live, the great majority were thousands of miles (and sometimes several oceans or continents) away from my postal code. Boa constrictors, pythons, Nile crocodiles (huge!), poisonous frogs, water monitors - no thanks! I prefer my fresh water lake swims with the odd siting of a garter snake.  And I though leeches were creepy?! ... quite mild in comparison.
Source

Perhaps you are a creepy crawly lover - go ahead, move south or far east. 

Source
I love my no-hurricane, no-python living up here in good ol' Ontario!

P.S. But if you live in the Toronto/York Region area - awesome place to take the kids.

4 comments:

  1. i need to take my kids there! although they brought there reptiles at a birthday party once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it was great. we went right at 10 a.m. when it opened - not sure if this is an option for you, but we were the only ones in the place so the kids could wander from display to display and I didn't have to be on heightened public place awareness with two toddlers. I even caved and let them get a rubber snake and stickers in the gift shop :) Thanks so much for commenting Designwali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I would have to see whether or not I could deal with all the snakes! Have you ever been to the shark/fish place in Newmarket? (40 mins north of Toronto for non-local readers). Haven't been there in years but it is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie:
    Yeah, there were a couple of times where I was holding back my reaction as I didn't want to freak the boys out, and settled with just a little "come and hold mommy's hands please!"
    HUGE snake and MASSIVE croc were at reptilia. You walk down this corridor, kind of like the pavilions at the zoo, with glassed in tanks on either side and then all fo a sudden you see these massive things ... apparently once a year they feed it a goat! yeah, not sure whether my kids are ready for that. we settled for a short and sweet touch of a harmless snake. When the lady brought it out I asked, "this is one of the non-bite snakes right?" in which she replied very diplomatically, "all creatures will bite if sacred or if they feel threatened" ... just answer my question damn it ... oops I guess she did!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...