Friday, October 14, 2011

A DIY on Captain's Chairs

Two Captain's chairs - that looked just like the one shown below -  were two of the first pieces of furniture my husband and I bought when we started living together.


We got them at an antique market we used to frequent for $50 each (I think).  Although they were solid wood, they had been left outside a couple of times, were different colours (one dark walnut and one golden honey) and were starting to look a little worn and hodge podgy.

I recently drew my line in the sand (see post on to-do lists here) and decided I would paint them. Being frugal and tired of choosing paint colours and spending money on cans of paint that I only use a fraction of, I decided to dig in to the supplies that I already had - the tried and true shades of our home. I settled on Benjamin Moore's Lemon Grass CC-638. Below is how our chairs look now:


The pictures don't really show the colour that well as it is quite yellow with a tinch of green. After I had done them, they really stood out and looked "just painted" so I decided to take a bit of sand paper to them and rough them up a bit. That seems to have toned them down a bit and helped them to fit in. Still not sure on the colour.  We keep them in a three-season sun room so perhaps a bit bright for the winter but perfect for the summer, especially if I add a few accessories that pick up on the colour. (Trust me that the colour is a lot brighter in person.)

And although I do enjoy painting, by the second coat I get a bit tired and lazy so don't go looking under my chairs or you'll find that I skipped that part all together :)


On a side note, if you read the blog yesterday, you will know that I have a huge to-do list for this month. One of my tasks was painting the sandbox so that can now be marked off.


I know the picture doesn't look too flashy but if you would have seen a before shot (sorry, forgot to take one), complete with flaking off primer because I didn't get to painting it before last winter, than you would appreciate its makeover.  Now all I need is some rope handles to finish it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...