Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lack of Sleep - Can't Blame The Kids

I have been walking around exhausted lately, but I can't blame the kids. In fact, they have been sleeping really well of late (knock on wood).  The culprit is me rediscovering my love of reading novels. Magazines are great and all but their pages are distracting and I find it takes me quite a bit of effort to read a whole page, let alone an entire magazine, not to mention, they never leave me feeling satisfied and rarely like I've come away with any great information.  With novels, you know you're getting a fully story and it's nice to read a page where you know you'll keep up just as long as you follow from left to right, line by line.

Anyways, I have found myself staying up until midnight or after (I normally try to hit the hay close to 10)  tearing up a couple of books - One Day by Dave Nicholls and Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
Source

Source
I'm not going to do a full review of each but I'll just say that I really really enjoyed both of them. I literally couldn't put the books down. (But take this with a grain of salt as I also loved the Twilight series and was mildly obsessed for a few months.)

Up until recently, the thought of reading seemed alien. Maybe the fact that I am now able to get through a novel in less than a year means I am exiting the pure exhaustion stage of sleep-deprived mother-of -two toddlers and entering a new stage ... (perhaps pulling my hair out, peace maker and constant supervisor of two very active boys will work).

If you're up for a new book and can squeeze in a few moments during your day (maybe during the Backyardigans), these picks would be a good start. Not too heavy, not too light.  Just enough to get you thinking, not enough to make you depressed, a little love, a little sad, but all in all, perfect Mom read.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book ideas! Im always looking for new books to read :) I have one to suggest: "Room" and any by Jodi Picoult. Happy Reading amidst the kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn. Let me know if you read them. I have read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and really liked it. Time to pick up another! Have you seen the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Help. By Stockett (can't remember her first name) but it was A-Mazing! (Stayed up super late the whole week reading it).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...