Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sassy Dress for Wedding Needed: HELP!

So one of my nearest and dearest girlfriends is getting married in under a month and my husband and I are flying to Calgary for the wedding.

I have decided I would like to get a new dress for the occasion as most of mine in my closet have been worn several times (and some while pregnant) and I think it's time.

I was so excited as last night I dedicated to going shopping. I had my hopes set high as I knew a BCBG outlet store that is piled high with cocktail-type dresses.

Twenty dresses later and ... nothing. The first dress I tried on was absolutely perfect except it, and about half of the other dresses, reminded me of the difficulties of shopping for my body type - size 8 top and size 12 bottom.  Errrrr. and I'm not about to get a dress and assume that I can take in the top because I've made that mistake before (sometimes it is very difficult or impossible to take in!).

Now, my confidence is shaken, the outlook is bleak. Hello pregnancy dresses?! Hello university graduation dress? (ah, this is one of my friends from university so that wouldn't quite work ... but bonus it still fits), time to turn to my good ol' Joe Fresh black strapless number (that feels like I'm wearing a jogging suit ... in a good way)?

Tomorrow I'm hoping for some luck and need your suggestions. The type of dress I was hoping for was a classy (with a splash of sexy) strapless cocktail dress to above the knee. Now I need your suggestions? Online, boutiques, at the mall?

During Christmas shopping I fell in love with this dress from Banana Republic, but of course reminded myself Christmas is a time for buying for others and obediently did not buy or even try on.
I just saw it online and half price. I am hesitating to order it because I don't want it to turn into one of those dresses you absolutely love because you can't have it and you haven't tried it on and once you do try it on it actually turns out to look absolutely horrible with your skin tone and looks dreadful on your body.

P.S. No pressure. A lot of the people at the wedding I haven't seen for more than a decade, since pre-kids. I have to represent the Mom-segment ... show that there is a body and life after kids ... is there? :) ha ha

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. i hate that feeling...for cheaper suggestions any luck with H&M? I can't believe I'm even suggesting this..but have you tried the Bay? Jeanne Becker has a clothing line out called Moon and I saw some cute cocktail dresses over the winter. I myself am distracted by this dress for my friends July wedding but I'm not sure if they ship to Canada. http://www.katespade.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4345634&cp=1872494.3343896

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you find something similar at a high end store or the original Banana Republic and try it on. Don't buy there,just try for size and style on you. I think the dress in the picture would look very nice on what you are describing as your body type. I have the same problem only in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for your comments.
    Designwali: Funny, I did reluctantly check out the bay and did find a cute dress, but not quite cocktail enough for what I was hoping for. on the radar in case I completely strike out. Tried on a bunch of dresses today and quite a few that looked half decent but always something to make me second guess (too much glitter? some odd detail I"m not used to i.e. different straps)

    Darlene: Great minds think alike. I was in Banana Rep today and tried on the 12 - too big ... and they randomly found a size 10 in the back with a broken zipper. I was able to try it on for size and it fit perfect. For the price of $54, I thinkn I'll get it regardless of whether I wear to wedding ;) nice to have a couple in the closet. One more stop tomorrow a.m. and my fingers are crossed. Us women, sure can't please us can you?! thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...