Friday, April 8, 2011

Honesty From a Three Year Old

Today my three-year-old had this to say to me:
"Mom, you're bum is really big ... like the clouds"

... and yesterday as I was attempting to slide down his little tikes slide (which is not designed for anyone with even a trace of hips, nor his 32-year-old Mom):
"Mom, you won't fit, your bum is bigger than Daddy's."

Apparently he is into comparing bottoms this week.

Source

Last week it was this comment directed to a family member:

"My tummy gets big like yours when I eat my food. You know who else has a big tummy? _______(insert  family/friend's name who may or may not be reading this- protecting the innocent)"

So I guess it is official then, we have entered the "honesty" stage.  Great! Did I mention he inherited my voice - one that is loud and carries very well in public places.

Here is the challenge:  he is just being honest and talking like he would about anything else he sees ... he doesn't know that big tummies are bad, or that the mention of large buttocks to females can send them into a tizzy (FYI- I was not fazed by his comments). I hesitate to hush him or correct him because I don't want him to be embarrassed or feel like he can't talk openly and I don't want to make too big of a deal of anything because then it draws more attention to the person and the characteristic he has observed.  I have settled with trying to change the subject or divert his attention while in the public place with observed person within earshot and then talking about it privately afterwards and trying to explain that .... well, that's just it, how do you explain social norms to a 3-year-old ?

Have a good one!

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! Too funny!

    We had a couple from a little ways away meet us in a small town near our home for lunch one day. I can't remember how old their kids were at the time, but they were young. This very large man came into the restaurant-probably the biggest man I've ever seen and the children starting hollering and carrying on, they weren't being rude, they just probably had never seen such a big man...'look at his belly! We could use his belly as a trampoline!'

    This phrase goes down in history in our home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get comments like this all the time. too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! my kids give me brutal honesty as well. Either that or they go right up and tell the person that they are big/tiny/fat/dont eat enough. haha
    Oh well...gotta love the honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. for what it's worth: my favourite stories from my mother are about me being a loud-mouthed, honest kid in public. i had zero filter and when she thinks back on it now it always makes her laugh and smile. she took your approach....divert, laugh a little, change the focus. seems to have worked on me.....i think i'm socially aware and i never tell women they have big butts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrix: I would have liked to see that on video ... especially your mom's face.

    It is definitely a fun and interesting stage. Just wait until little "E" starts talking

    ReplyDelete
  6. When telling my daughter she needed to sit on a potty so she wouldn't fall in because her bum was small, she proceeded to tell me that I did not need a potty because my bum is big.

    We also had a heavyset waiter deliver a meal at a restaurant to which my 3 year old exclaimed loudly "Mommy that mans face is huge!" She was correct, just not socially...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...