Monday, June 27, 2011

Break up the Monotony with Spaghetti

Okay, so school is out, now what?

Days upon days with hours upon hours to fill with activities can be a bit daunting.

Or even if you are at home all of the time with younger kids, the park and the splash pad must be getting a bit old.

Well, the other day I was feeling the same way and decided to flip open one of the books I have that are packed with activities for kids.

This was the inspired result:






Yep, it cost all of about $1.49 for a super large bag of Catelli spaghetti noodles, boiled them up, cooled them off, and then dumped them in our kiddie pool. I then let the kids put a couple of buckets of water in with the spaghetti and they had a blast.

It turned a bit ugly at the end when I was trying to put an end to the activity when my eldest decided it would be fun to dump spaghetti all over my youngest's head ... but all in all, they had a great time - no injuries, lots of fun and totally occupied.

Notes:  I decided to do it on my patio because any spaghetti that did "escape" the pool would be dried out and easily swept the next day. I used a colander to gather up most of the noodles and then dumped the pool with the remaining noodles into one of my gardens in the back yard (do not let them put too much water in the pool or you won't be able to move it and you can't very well let out the water with all of the noodles floating around).

And lastly, yes those are circa 1980s WWF Wrestlers that you see in the pictures ... thank you to my in-laws for holding onto them all these years and graciously passing them down.  Nothing like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man and Andre the Giant to add some excitement to a kiddie pool filled with spaghetti!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos! Weird and wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...