Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Closet Cleanse Continues: Step 3

The Closet Cleanse Continues: Step 3


*image from here*

Well…how are things?! Hope your step 2 went well and you cleared out some stuff! I found a pair of gym shorts that I have owned since grade 10… That’s 15 years ago folks.

A 15-year-old pair of shorts….I feel old.

Now is a perfect time to tackle step 3!!

Step 3…

1- Either drag all your clothes out into a huge pile again or work your way through the drawers…either way is fine by me!! We are going to start at the bottom and work our way up…

2- Socks…holey or ancient….have got to go!

3- Jeans, pants, skirts….try all of them on.
Take a GOOD long look in the mirror…and ask for advice. Daughters and husbands are usually brutally honest so give them permission to tell you the truth. And then don’t hold it against them.
Can you do them up?! And if you can’t do them up/get them past your knees…let them go. We have all changed our shape over the years…having babies or drinking way too much cream in our coffees…but that’s life. And if we hold onto things that just make us depressed or annoyed every time we have to move them out-of-the-way in the dresser or closet to actually get to things that fit, what’s the point? And I know we will be losing the weight eventually, but then that’s the fun part…we get to go shopping for our new figure instead of having to wear clothes that are SO LAST YEAR…

4- Bras…
This is generally a problem no matter who you are. What do they say? …3/4 women are wearing the wrong sized bra?! Please, throw out/donate the old nursing bras, sports bras or others that are over two years old. And then waltz out and buy new ones!!! Our “girls” are doing the best they can and so we need to help them out as much as we can. Get to your favorite bra store, get fitted and go crazy! I’ll go over what would be the best items to have for your basic wardrobe later…

5- Shirts, dresses and sweaters…same as the pants. Try on and ask for advice.  Any bunching, gaping or just plain uncomfortable…get rid of it. No need to keep clothes that we can’t stand to wear!

6- Anything else left over?! I have a TON of home clothes that I keep holding on to.  On the farm I pretty much live in stained/holey tees and jeans, because I never know when I have to scale a fence or help wrestle a calf to the barn - nice clothes are pretty much ridiculous to wear day-to-day. That said…I keep WAY to many tees and jeans that fill my drawers and take up space. So this is my area to work on…I’m going to keep four tees and three jeans…this will cut down on A LOT of laundry!!!

7- When tossing, don’t play favorites….yes that coat may have cost a lot. But you’ve worn it once in five years. It’s okay to donate. Or in my case…the 15-year-old gym shorts. I have fabulous memories of high school basketball, but I need to move on. And those shorts HAVE TO GO!!!

Or gorgeous items that just don’t look good on you….give them to a friend that you know will love and wear it often…or do you think it’s tailorable? If there is a shirt that is almost cute if it had short sleeves, give it to your favorite, most talented person you know that owns a sewing machine and go for it. If it doesn’t work, then you haven’t lost anything…just add it to the donation bin!

Now, congratulate yourselves. You're done! Well…for now.
Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!!
Love…Cathryn!

2 comments:

  1. I could really use those tips right about now...I am having a hard time donating stuff...I need to stop being nostalgic about my clothing and just purge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, you have to do it. this weekend i finally stopped making excuses for a few things and said "out with you". nice stuff. pretty stuff ... but if i'm not going to wear it, what is the point. good luck. thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...