Monday, January 17, 2011

Design Question

I haven't posted any design pictures or questions for awhile so thought it was time.

My husband and I would like to give our master bedroom a bit of a face lift this year, including a new paint job - probably a nice grey colour - new side lamps for our bedside tables, perhaps painting our bed frame, a new overhead light and hanging some stuff on the walls.

Let's stick with that last point for a moment - "hanging some stuff on the walls".

The one wall that we are really stuck with is the one behind our bed.


As you can see from the picture, although our bed is positioned in the middle of the wall, there's a window only on one side creating an asymmetrical layout.  Normally, you could centre something, but in this case, I can't.  Help!!  Any ideas?  Multiple smaller frames?

Any other design advice or tidbits are welcomed too!

Another questions:  Family photos in the bedroom? Yes or No?

6 comments:

  1. Is that a sliding door to the left of your bed? If you open it on the left side you should consider losing the left hand side table and pushing the bed up against the wall. You could also get really creative with draped to make it look more proportionate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am nowhere close to being good at this stuff, but seeing the asymmetrical layout, it made me think of those collage photo frames that have a number of scattered frames stuck together. You'd have to search to find a really nice one, or you could custom make your own. I think a family photo is okay on the bedside table or on the dresser, but I personally wouldn't put it on the wall. If you went with a collage idea, maybe choose beautiful vacation photos or even family photos that aren't a pose, just candid shots. Black and white would look even better, especially for the placement behind the bed, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for everyone's suggestions. It's not a sliding door ... it's just a big window in teh room. I'll keep you posted and see what I find out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need to see pictures of the other walls to give you a better idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to place our bed against a window and its completely off centered. So I actually extended the curtain rod to make the illusion that the window is centered. I'm not sure how you could do that because it's off to the side. You can see it a bit in todays post. http://jandjhome.blogspot.com/2011/01/our-nightstands-simple-fix.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - just seeing this now. Did you ever solve your problem? I have the same issue my master bedroom and I am cosidering draping fabric on the entire wall. See this post from the Bower Power blog -
    http://www.bowerpowerblog.com/2011/02/second-floor-photo-tour/

    It's a great idea that you might consider!

    I will do a blogpost soom on how bloggers and designers have tackled this problem. Can I include your pics as well...before and, hopefully, an after?

    Thanks,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...