Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Teenage Fashion: Hilarious!

Of course most teenagers have much more fashion sense than I do, but it's how they pull it off that is so comical to me.

I can't tell you how often I am out and about and see a group of teenage girls walking together and they are virtually dressed in identical outfits. Sure they may have different colour schemes going on, but all of the pieces are so close in appearance they could have been purchased from the same store and same rack - from the footwear, all the way up to the coat.  In fairness, perhaps the outfits of choice are wonderful, but when you're walking beside three other people and appear to be quadruplets, any bit of fashion kudos gets pitched to the curb.

Source


Another observation: moccasins.  I know these have been popular with the high school crowd for a bit and hey, I'm all for comfort (pyjama pants were the big thing during my formative years). But when the fashion trend goes a bit far and the kids are wearing actual slippers outside, in the winter, when it's minus ten degrees and there is a good two inches of snow/ice/slush on the ground?  I mean their feet must be wet, freezing and slightly frost bitten...
Source

 And don't get me started about the pants - the extremes of low-slung versus low-rise. You know the low-slung pants that some "cool" guys where that actually do up below the bum. I know this has been observed and said a million times, but truly, how do they stay up? If I put my pants under my bum and cinched a belt around my thighs (where the waist of the pants was), all I would have to do is take a step and they would fall down ... and my pants are a lot tighter too! And the low-rise jeans. I just don't think my body shape was ever meant to be anywhere near a pair of these pants, let alone inside them. Thank goodness the waistlines of pants are creeping up again. 
Source


I should finish this post up as I am truly sounding like a mom who is barking about the younger generation (which automatically indicates my diminishing cool factor).  You know what I mean though right?

4 comments:

  1. You are such a mom!!! :-)

    However, I have noted that the whole low-slung jean thing is made possible by walking funny. That is how the pants stay up. Give it a try. Then you will have either a 'swagger' or look like you have been injured.

    I see it at the Eaton Centre - that is definitely how they stay up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I hate that low-slung jean thing. If my kids do that, Im going to make them wear suspenders!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The young guys that wear the crotch at the knees are hilarious. They walk just like they have been tied at the knees. And the girls seem to all wear leggings with some sort of winter boot, usually Uggs. I have not seen this slipper phenomenon though. But I have seen the odd girl in a tank top and low slung jeans on the coldest of days, with her jacket over her arm. I remember wearing shorts as soon as the weather hit double digits. I drove my mom nuts doing that. And I always thought it was uncool in elementary school to zip up my jacket. And a hat was completely out of the question. Apparently I thought it was far cooler to freeze my butt off and then miss the next four days of school with a dreadful cold...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, definitely a Mom over here. My approach to fashion has always been quite practical - even if the shoes are hot, if I can't walk in them properly, they're not an option.
    Low slung - no go. With two boys I will be instructing on proper fit at a young age. Luckily my husband does not have questionable jean past and will be a good influence with no pictures cropping up :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...