Monday, January 24, 2011

Do Vacations with Kids Really Exist?

The word vacation and its definition takes on a whole new meaning with children in tow.

Sure taking a vacation with your children may still mean time away from your home and usual routine, but a break? Relaxation? Rejuvenation? I'm not quite sold on these last few.

A break from what? The children are with you 24/7.

Relaxation? When would that take place?

Rejuventation? Perhaps if you are disciplined enough to go to bed early every night and your kids decide to sleep in every morning ... but my luck with these two things happening at the same time thus far is not great.

For the record, I'm not complaining, just expressing some observations. Going on a trip with kids is intense - from the moment you start packing, to the moment you begin unpacking with a whole lot of other stuff in between.
Two-Bag Limit?  Ha ha.  Source

When travelling as a family, you are dealing with new settings, non-kid proof rooms, time changes, flight delays, new menus, no toys, new people, hotel rooms, different sleeping arrangements (oops, forgot the monitors and .... sorry honey, no music tonight .... even though you have listened to it every night for the past three years!) .... you get the idea and I'm sure you have your own mental memories that are popping up in your head.

This past Christmas, we ventured to Arizona to see my Dad. Had a great trip but still intense.  Time change - the sun didn't rise for at least 2 1/2 hours after my children woke up.  Flight delays - right when you have the naps timed perfectly with the flights, WAM! your flight has been delayed. Have you ever held an eighteen month old for three hours? ... That is awake?

Source

On our way home as we were entering the security line at the airport, you know the one where they frisk you, my Dad notices there is a second line with no one it it (the other line had at least 70 people in it) that looked like it was reserved for wheelchairs, etc.  My Dad urged me to go in it ... we proceeded. I felt guilty, trying not to meet eyes with anyone in the other line ... especially as we were greeted and ushered through in seconds. But then I though, no wait, I am juggling two toddlers, multiple bags and a double stroller, I deserve this line.  If the roles were reversed and I witnessed someone else doing it and I was travelling alone with my husband, I would understand and enjoy my free arms, single carry on item and latte while I waited the few extra minutes.

As everyone tells me, "this stage is short and things will get easier" ... and truthfully I can already see that.  BUT, after our Christmas trip, my husband and I decided that our trip to Calgary this winter would be taken sans kids. So look for us with our lattes, magazines (that actually get opened and read) in the extra-long line enjoying our adult-only airport time.

Cheers!  Any airport or vacation drama you would like to share?

2 comments:

  1. We are hoping to go on a trip down south in the next few months, so I have been thinking about the logistics of this. With a 10 mth+ baby that DOES NOT want to sit still, we can't really sit poolside with her crawling on the pavement... we may need to leave her at home.
    Here is some vacation/airport drama for you. We travelled to England for a family wedding with a 12 month old a few years ago. Days after the wedding almost all of the family and friends came down with the Norovirus (remember Norwalk???). There was a huge epidemic of it in England at the time. My husband and I were so sick in our hotel room with a (so far) healthy one year old but nobody else could help us take care of her because everyone else was sick too. And when I say one-year old, I mean this was her actual 1st first birthday, stuck in our hotel room with super sick parents. So cancel the posh seaside party that had been planned with a whole bunch of people that were now horribly ill. Two days later as our plane pulled out of Heathrow airport, my one-year old began throwing up. I realized she too had gotten the virus and that it was going to be a long 8 hour flight home. We ended up having to throw out all her clothes in the airplane bathroom and she wore nothing but her diaper and an Air Canada blanket through immigration. So brutal. Have yet to attempt travelling with two, so kudos to you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie: If you are going on a family vacation and set your expectations accordingly, I don't think it will be that bad. The reality is you're going to have one child and that inhibits what you can and can't do somewhat already right? we went to FL with both kids ages (2 1/2 and 6 months) last year and it was a true family vacation, but not bad. we strategically did the condo thing in a gated community as we had space, extra rooms, everything within walking distance, etc. Does your 10+ month old still nap or fall asleep in the stroller or car? we went to the pool and brought the baby in the stroller, we walked the beach and put the baby in the sling (backpack would work awesome for this too). if your room was poolside, perfect, you could have your playpen closeby for a play area or if you were really close, have the monitor for when your baby is napping? Florida is not such a bad flight if you can get direct - around 3 hours. If you can time a nap, you're golden. Does the youngest watch a dvd? lifesaver on planes. I also recommend (which I didn't do on the last trip) bringing your own meals on the plane and making meal time a big event, should kill atleast 15 minutes. I also read somewhere (and this is definitely a super mom tactic) of picking an activity for every 15-30 minutes of your trip/flight and wrapping each of the activities. Adds atleast a couple minutes on to each activity and they will think it's fun. I haven't done it, just read the idea. Good Luck in your decision. Also nice that you have the option to leave the little one behind ... but as i said, I'd go family or no kids :) ahhhhh the sun and heat would be nice today.
    Sorry to hear about your England drama - yuck and yikes! you made it out alive! impressive. I can't imagine dealing with a vomiting baby on an airplane. no wonder you're hesitant to travel! what were your fellow travellers' reactions like? dare i ask

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...