Sunday, January 16, 2011

Every Vegetable Counts Right?

Like most people's kids, mine aren't crazy about most vegetables. Thank goodness for broccoli because my three-year-old loves it for some reason and we eat it about four times a week. The search is still on to find a vegetable that my one-year-old loves ... I'll keep you posted.

But I found this recipe for Squash Muffins by Jamie Oliver and tried them last week.


Delicious, loved by both kids and a great way to use up squash and get some extra veggies into the kids. Every vegetable serving counts right?

A few notes:  The recipe refers to a food processor, but I just grated the squash by hand and it worked fine, didn't do the frosty icing that was mentioned and they were still sweet enough for the kids, AND replaced some of the oil it called for with yogurt.

Mmmmmmmmmm!



4 comments:

  1. have you checked out Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld? an entire cookbook dedicated to tricking your kids. a friend of mine uses it and quite likes it. now if only i could trick edyn into napping.......?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrix:
    I was given that book but eventually passed it along as I couldn't see myself pre-making all of those frozen purees. I have found that pre planning my meals and just strictly enforcing vegetable eating as well at least trying everytihng is working pretty well. Hiding things in casseroles is always handy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some delicious zucchini bread that is delicious too, even though I don't LOVE zucchini normally. I have made a baked mac n cheese with brocoli and cauliflower that goes over well. I also try to hide diced mushroom and celery in pasta dishes. I'll try out the squash muffins for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie: mmmm ... can i have your zuchinni bread recipe! yes cauliflower is perfect as it goes almost translucent when cooked. My MIL makes a cauliflower cheese pie (from a milk calendar years ago, you can google it) and it is delicious and the kids love.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...