Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Attention All DIYers: I Need Some Advice

Okay all you DIYers, I am looking to you for help.

I read your blogs, look at your before and after pictures, am amazed by the miracles you work and the masterpieces you create from nothing, so now I am asking for some help.

I am looking for guidance on two items - an antique side table that was my Grandma's and a vanity mirror top that matches a dresser in my son's room (not sure if "vanity mirror top" is correct terminology ... almost definitely not, but I can't come up with anything better right now).

First off, My Grams' Side Table:


As is, it is plain, unoffensive, nice enough, but boring and lacking any sort of wow! factor.  I like the details of it and think that it could be great, just needs a bit of a re-work.  Because of the sentimental factor here, don't want to bedazzle the heck out of it or paint it pink or anything, just enhance it's beauty factor.  Any ideas?

Second, a Vanity Mirror Top:

As I mentioned, this old, dusty thing, matches a low dresser that is in my son's room (we painted it, changed the hardware, etc.). Now I am wondering what to do with this?  I was thinking of bringing it into my son's room in some form or another.  One idea I had was to remove the glass (it has a huge crack not visible in the picture) and replace it with chalkboard paint or corking to make an area for my son to post pictures, leave messages, or tack things up from school. I am open to ideas and ways to update this piece, so please leave a comment or suggestion.

That's it for now. Can't wait to hear some ideas.

LadySmith

3 comments:

  1. You could turn the mirror thing into a hall tree - with a bench underneath and hooks for a place to sit to put on your boots, hang your coat and stuff? Or are you a lucky person who already has a front hall closet? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you don't want to paint it, I'd leave the side table alone. It is gorgeous! Just style it up (check Lonny mag for ideas) with a vase, some books, etc. Put a mirror over it maybe to make it seem more permanent/purposeful in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ideas. Yes, we have a hall closet, but I like your idea ... we just don't have much of a front hall to put it. Oh the limitations! I will check out Lonny mag for ideas. I like the idea of putting a mirror above it as other things can sometimes be "reachable" by little ones' hands :) I'll let you know what comes of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...