Monday, October 4, 2010

"Mommy, Me Feel Me Pee Pees Coming"

For a Mom of a just toilet-trained three-year-old, the words, "Mommy, me feel me pee pees coming!" indicate the beginning of a 30-second window in which I must locate a toilet, get to it, get my son's pants and underwear down to his ankles (tougher than it sounds if you're holding a 25 lb toddler in your arms as well) and then pray that his aim is good that day.

If at home, no big deal - my son can navigate himself to the bathroom with ease.

But, and this is a huge but, if you're in a public place (or in the car!), the difficulty of this challenge drastically goes up and the consequences of not achieving your mission of finding a toilet within the allotted time becomes more disastrous.

Today, it was at the grocery store. Thankfully, approximately 30 feet from the washroom. BUT before you go thinking I had this one in the bag, let me also share that I was in the self checkout line, midway through scanning my order, lineup behind me, double stroller in tow (might as well have been pushing a bus) ... hmmmm, what to do?

I frantically looked around and met eyes with the checkout supervisor, blurted that "I would be right back, my son had to go to the washroom", grabbed both kids and darted for la toilette. She seemed to understand and even volunteered to scan through some of my items (bonus!).  It's so nice when people respond this way, as the truth is, there's not much a parent can do in these situations. Unfortunately, as we all know, there are plenty of people out there that respond in other, less understanding ways.

Anyhoo, I/we survived. We made it. Turns out it was a false alarm, after all that. Ahhh, the things I'd love to add to my ever-expanding resume.

The lengths parents go to when toilet training!

Here's hoping you rise to all of your challenges today!

LadySmith

P.S. Be thankful I did not share my "Mommy, me feel me poo poos coming" story which happened while on a forest walk with my friend Rebecca and her kids!

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I hate those moments. As happy as I am to have my preschooler toilet-trained, there are times I wish I could just say "go in your diaper", but alas, she is not wearing one...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...