Wednesday, October 27, 2010

To Minivan Or Not

I really don't enjoy vehicle shopping.

I mean I do ... but, I don't.

It's fun to look at all the shiny new cars, but when it comes down to the final decision and all the money haggling ...

Our lease on our Jeep Patriot family vehicle is up in a few months so the conversations of "what should we replace it with" have started to crop up.  I like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but ...

The Big Question is ... to minivan or not?


Source
  Hush now all you anti-minivanners out there. I get it and trust me I was one of you until about a week ago.

Then I really started to think about it. Extra seats for visitors and friends, extra space, easy packups for the cottage, no need for roof racks, cheaper pricing than an SUV, lower gas consumption (I think) than SUVs .... 

As a parent, if there is any stress you can take out of your life or from family trips, I try to take the opportunity.

Let's be clear - and no offence to minivan drivers - I never ... ever ... saw myself as a minivan driver, but that was when the majority of my peers and neighbours were not driving minivans. Your perception and priorities tend to shift a bit, if the majority of people you come in contact with on a regular basis have them. 

Sure the bigger SUVs are nice, and you get a bigger interior (but my husband and I are not big people so kind of unnecessary) but the luggage capacity is still not that big when you consider playpens + a cooler + a guitar + life jackets + oh yeah, your bags + gifts + anything else you may want to throw in.  Not to mention the price tags that go along with them.

My saving grace, if I should choose to minivan it, is that we also have a sportier car that my husband drives for work that I can drive if ever I feel like I am drowning in the stereotype of "minivan mom".

For the record, we are undecided, just exploring our options. I will let you know.

LadySmith

P.S. Very funny minivan video from Honda promoting their new vehicle (thanks Courtney).

4 comments:

  1. Haha keep in mind I have no kids and no real requirement for a mini van but T - don't do it!!! Stay true to your anti-minivan sentiments of yester-year. Even if you do a good cross-over (half station-wagon, half-SUV), at least you can say you drive a crossover and not a van. You can even get crossovers with extra seats.

    How often do you need to fit extra people into your car? Is it just a few times a year (if that?) - maybe a rental when those occasions come up?

    PS If you get a minivan, can I borrow it once in a while? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - we have this debaate every year. And gosh darn't aren't mini vans so functional?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, my lease is up in February. But I think we're going to go for the Acadia - http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/gmc/acadia/gallery-photos-exterior01

    We could use more space too, but I just really don't like vans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The debate continues. So many pros and cons. Will keep you up to date as we test drive and narrow the decision down. My friend E. drives a Mazda cx-9 and loves it - space, extra seats and not a van. will add to list of possibles. thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...