Monday, September 13, 2010

Caked Out

So, my husband and I (and the kids) survived the past two weeks of birthdays. My sons’ birthdays are one week apart, this year celebrating their first and third birthdays with separate parties. Our one-year-old had a family celebration, complete with a time capsule (in lieu of gifts) that guests were encouraged to contribute to that he will open on his 16th birthday in 2025. Our three-year-old had a kid party (this past Saturday) with seven kids and eight adults (us and three sets of parents).

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was one of the busiest, craziest two hours of my life. We all had fun - painted our own t-shirts, did a scavenger hunt, had mini burgers, ate cake and tore up the basement for a little bit. Luckily the weather cooperated and 90 per cent of the party was outside. Where do they get their energy? Non-stop for 120 minutes. Post party, I had a three hour nap - total conk out.

In a previous post, I mentioned my love for making my sons' birthday cakes and my three-year-old's request for a soccer cake with gummi bears ?!?  I have included a picture so you can see how it turned out

Post-party hindsight:

• 1.5 hours would have been plenty, two hours is pushing it as this is when the meltdowns begin
• Watch out for allergies. We had a nut and egg allergy but luckily knew ahead of time - ask!
• For a young age like three, make sure parents come as the extra hands on deck (and ability to discipline
   their own kids if need be) are very helpful
• Outside if possible
• Brown paper on the table with crayons, buys you a few extra minutes of table time
• If you have a younger child, try to put them down for a nap right before party so you have more time to
  host and they can still enjoy the latter part when they wake up (cake!)
• Think about having an afternoon party -more time to get everything ready. We did 10:30 a.m. start time and it was tight. We were ready, but just!
• And last but not least ... Starbucks (or at least ours) makes these great coffee to-go packages for parties, complete with milk, sugar, cups and stir sticks - just do it!

Now all I need to do is find out a way to work off all this cake. It's so hard to say no when the leftovers are just staring at you every time you open the fridge.

Talk soon,

On a Sugar Low

P.S. Does it count as eating a piece of cake if I actually ate the equivalent of TWO! pieces of cake, but did so only through casual fork bites off the main cake and did not use a plate? Errrrr .... I think I know the answer.





~

4 comments:

  1. What do you mean 1.5 hours is enough? I thought we should have stayed all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking time was flying by because it was going so well and we were only 45 minutes in.
    Of course you and your reds could have stayed for as long as you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Wish you were here to have some - it was delicious too. Miss you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...