Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Handwritten Note

There's something about the handwritten note ... both the act of writing one and the wonderful experience of receiving it. 

In this age of technology, letter writing is almost like a lost art. Don't get me wrong email is great - efficient, cheap and fast ...  but there's still something special about peeping in the mailbox and finding a card (not a bill) with your name scrawled across it.

For as long as I can remember, I have written letters - to my Dad who lived away from me, to my family and friends when I was away from them, to all of my relatives (and I have a lot) after Christmas thanking them for all of the wonderful gifts, and now that life takes us in many different directions, to my friends on their birthdays and other occasions.

It definitely helps (but is not necessary) when you have some really fun stationary lying around or a favorite pen - the ones that just seem to make your handwriting look more fancy.  But the most important part of the handwritten note is that you get to write to a friend you miss, a loved one that lives far away, or the best, a grandparent, to let them know you are thinking about them.

This past Christmas, my mother-in-law bought me personalized stationary and it is beautiful (HUGE M-I-L BONUS POINTS!). She got me personalized sheets with matching personalized envelopes and a package of family cards (see below for graphic). 
Personalized Sheet, EmbossedGraphics.com


Family Card, EmbossedGraphics.com

The best is they come in these fancy boxes all wrapped in tissue paper (heavenly!), you feel so special when you're opening them ... each and every time. It evolves from a chore into an experience. 

Whether we like it or not, Christmas is around the corner, and these are extremely thoughtful gifts - maybe for all of your mother-in-laws! Or if you happen to have a soft spot for the handwritten note, as do I, perhaps add these delightful morsels onto your own "pretty please" lists.

Happy writing!

LadySmith

P.S. For any Torontonians reading, William Ashley's on Bloor Street has an entire stationary section and that is where my gifts were from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...