Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Notes on Socks

No seriously, where do all of the socks go?  I mean there are only so many places they can go between the washing machine, the basket and wherever I decide to fold ... so why is it so hard to keep the majority of pairs together.
Singles party
And why, why, why do "they" put multiple colour combos in kids' sock packs? Why not just make them all the same colour combo and that way if one goes missing, you still have lots of other options for pairs. I'm just saying.

It wasn't until I was on a girls' weekend a few years ago that I realized I was in a bit of a sock rut. One of my friends made a comment on the socks I was wearing, asking if they were man socks (her tone included a bit of sarcasm and fashion disgust). I was mortified at the sock judging that was happening at the expense of my feet!  I had never really thought about the lack of feminine detail to my socks. I had my work socks (black or nude thin stockings or trouser-style) and then my boring weekend socks.
Since then, I have expanded my sock repertoire and treated myself to a few more "girly" socks - you know, lighter weight, cute patterns, more flattering - and I must say, it's kind of nice to peak in my sock drawer and have a bunch of colourful, friendly faces waiting for me in the morning (sure beats over sized, heavy, neutral-toned Costco specials from Christmases gone by).
Girly socks to the rescue!
Not quite as warm as the ol' faithfuls, but way more fun!
Hey, when you're a stay-at-home Mom and your daily work ensemble consists of jeans and a t-shirt, it's kind of fun to put on a pair of funky socks ... even if me and my hardwood floors are the only ones who will get to appreciate them. And one more plus, if socks make you happy, they're a hell of a lot cheaper than Manolo Blahniks :)

Sincerely,

LadySmith

P.S. Another sock drawer staple for the holiday season - fishnet knee highs. A little zing to go with the plain black pant!

4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, my dad (for some strange reason) would bring a suitcase of cute socks home for us to pick from. I guess he had a friend who was a sock salesman? Weird.

    Anyways I got to pick a bunch of cute striped socks etc and to my parents' dismay, I REFUSED to wear a matching pair. They would all go into a drawer, I would randomly pick two and that was it.

    I started wearing matching socks about 4 years ago. Seriously.

    Agreed on the fishnets. Not on the thigh high part - they don't stay up on me, but you can get fishnet 'pant' socks - just go to below the knee. Hot. As long as you are wearing the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember the mismatch socks from high school - a fashionista in the making :)
    Just to clarify, and it is an important clarification, I did say fishnet KNEE Highs and meant the pant sock type. they make you feel all conservative on top but with a bit of spicy hotness on your feet:) I'm not into the thigh highs either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I didnt' notice that but was impressed you were rocking thigh highs under your pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite an interesting post!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...