Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Do: Make a List ... of lists I need to make ... of things I need to do

I am a chronic list maker. I never realized how bad it was until recently. Being at home, I've noticed it more as it is quite obvious when multiple lists stare at me from multiple locations around the house and I still do not feel organized.

When I was working full time (and without kids) I was still a list maker, but the addiction and the quantity of them was easily disguised as "being organized".  Having a to do list within a solitary notebook on my desk at work was efficient, necessary and helped keep me focused.

Since being at home and being a Mom though, lists have become less about staying focused and more about desperately hoping that by scribbling notes down on the back of an envelope or scrap piece of paper lying on the kitchen counter, that perhaps, I won't totally lose my mind and may just manage to remember a thought before it flies out of my brain to be lost .... possibly forever.

A few weeks ago, I took a good look at my "organizational tools" - lap top, Outlook, iPhone, hard copy calendar, daytimer, multiple notebooks and random scrap lists - wow! when I write it out like that it seems a tad bit obvious that perhaps I was overlapping my efforts and being a bit (or A LOT!) redundant. I am proud to say that I have scrapped the hard copy calendar, daytimer and all of the 1/2 used notebooks and replaced it with one ... that's right ONE! .... nice new notebook that will be for all of my notes, lists, planning, etc. This way I know that everything will be contained within my computer, phone (which is synced to my computer) or my notebook ... much better. I'm feeling less stressed and more organized already :)

Sincerely,

LadySmith

P.S. I will secretly admit that in this modern age of texting, facebooking, blogging and everything electronic, I am still a sucker for hard copy lists and calendars. Nothing beats a paper calendar for reviewing upcoming weekends and events with hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...