Thursday, December 9, 2010

Does This Grey Dress Have An Inner Evening Diva? Fashion Advice Needed

When I'm getting ready and proclaim "I don't have anything to wear," I'm slightly exaggerating (as I think most of us are when we make this statement). I have lots of things to wear, I'm just lacking in the creativity department on  knowing exactly how to pair certain things with other certain things.

Earlier this fall I bought this dress:

Although I didn't buy it for a specific event, I thought it quite versatile and it fit me well.


Now I know how to wear this dress safely in the day time with its matching belt - very safe and a little office looking.  I have a hunch though that if I dig a bit deeper, this dress may just have an evening diva lurking within its seams and I could use it for the holidays somehow. (or is this type of gray dress only for the day?)

How to get it there? No clue.  I know it has something to do with what I wear on my legs, definitely footwear and of course jewelery, but when I put all of that together, I get a bit confused of what to put with what.  So here is what I have:

For my legs:
Option #1

Option #2

Option #3

Option #4
Obviously the gray tights would keep everything streamline, but are they too casual? If paired with black tights, is it a harsh contrast between legs and dress?

 Belts:
Option #1 - grey belt that when buckled has way too long of an end, so probably not an option ... I should probably get rid of it come to think of it
Option #2 - Black wool tie belt
Option #3 - wide black leather belt
Option #4 - matching grey tie belt
Option #5 - Black tie belt, satin on one side
Option #6 - skinny purple braided belt
(I know I'm missing a skinny, sparkly evening belt)

And finally, if I haven't lost you, the shoes:

From left to right: grey suede pumps, NYC pumps, purple pumps, black ankle boots ... and I have black pumps too (not shown).

So as you can see, there is a lot that goes into it. I may get as far as the right shoes, but then don't think the tights match ... and then the belt, don't get me started.

Is this dress to daytime? Can I pull it off for an evening dinner?

Would love to hear your suggestions (that means you Rebecca .. I mean anonymous!)

P.S. Reminder: lots of great stuff planned for next week ... including Holiday Fashion Must-Haves (don't worry I recruited some help).

9 comments:

  1. Grey dress, any of the black tights and the booties. Not sure about a belt - I'd have to see it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks janice! I did the grey dress with the belt it came with (to blend in and not break up silhouette) plus first fishnet option and black boots last nigth as trial. Got husband approval so we're 1/2 way there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely the first fishnet option tights! I think you could wear the 3rd belt too (black leather one). With the black shoes and tights, it would tie in nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fishnet stockings and black booties FOR SURE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sad I wasn't on the "consult" list for the holiday must-haves! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anonymous: maybe if you weren't anonymous I could consult you ... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also vote for the black fishnet and black booties....grey belt. i have much better luck dressing people other than myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katrix - welcome! So glad you are reading. I think I'll go with your vote. Not exactly in my comfort zone but I'll strut my holiday diva :) The funny thing is the ppl that I am going out with are reading this so will make fun of me tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little late posting, but I think it would look great with the black tights and some new red pumps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...