Friday, December 3, 2010

Literature Advent - A New Christmas Tradition


I got inspired after reading this idea in a magazine a few months back (my apologies as I forget which one) but the idea was to wrap up a bunch of different Christmas-themed books and let the kids open one every night before they go to bed - sort of a literature advent!  I loved the idea as we really enjoy our book time in the evening and it's a whole lot better than eating an advent chocolate before bed (although somehow we have a chocolate advent calendar too but those get eaten in the morning).

So far so good. My 1-year-old doesn't quite understand and has tried passing the presents out to visitors but my 3-year-old really likes it, except that he doesn't think it's fair he doesn't get to open a book whenever he wants.

I usually pack away our Christmas books after the holidays so this year, knowing i was going to be doing this, kept them tucked away and incorporated them as well as some new ones that I ordered through a school Scholastic order (14 books for $19.99 I think!). He hasn't opened up a new one yet so the anticipation will probably grow a bit when he knows there are surprises included.

Anyhoo, great idea for encouraging reading at this time of year and setting aside some special family time as schedules start to get even crazier busier (is that even possible?).

5 comments:

  1. That's a great idea LadySmith. I also plan on stealing your idea of the time capsule for the kids birthdays that you mentioned in a previous post. I'm glad to know I am not the only one whose kids are eating the advent chocolate in the morning. It's the first thing she thinks of, even before breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh The advent calendar,One year one of my children ate them (chocolates) all in one day. Christmas came slowly that year. I'm sure that lesson is remembered to this day. The other child became stronger as he learned that there is atime to share and a time to say NO to the big brother and Falalalal...lalala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea Tracy!! I'm definitely going to do it next year! Thanks for sharing:) Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fantastic idea-I just love it. I saw another lady didn't just put candy in her calendar, she put lil coupons too, for a family game night or whatever-thought that was unique as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like Cheyenne. I like the coupon idea. I remember one year when I was at university, I was super, "can't get out of bed" sick and my mom sent me a felt advent calendar in the mail and all sorts of stuff. it was sooo fun and definitely made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...