Friday, November 26, 2010

40 per cent off = FREE

Last weekend, the family and I went to the mall to try and get some Christmas shopping done. I went into a kids' store to try and find some kids' pyjamas and look up to see an excited look on my husband's face motioning for me to join him at the next store ...

Baby Gap - 40 % off the entire store, including sale items. What?! It's not even Black Friday yet or December. Sort of made the "25 % off selected styles" sign at the store next to the Gap look pretty lame.

And as Moms, and females, we know that if you see a sign that says 40% off, it basically reads FREE!

And then what we all end up doing is buying way more than we came for, wanted or needed and spend waaay more than what we saved with our 40% off.  It's just the way it works.  I guess that's why the stores do it.

For the record, in this specific instance, I spent less than what I was intending, did pick up two kids' coats I was in the market for, two extra (not on the list) shirts and put back six other items while coming to my senses and waiting in an insane long line and overheating in my winter jacket.

In honour of American Thanksgiving yesterday - Happy Turkey Day! - and in honour of the craziness that will exist in every retail facility today, being that it is Black Friday, one word of advice (actually a few):

  • Pay cash
  • Stick to your list (and budget)
  • Christmas is coming - buy for others
  • Large credit card statements in January SUCK! (and paying Christmas bills until the summer sucks even more)

2 comments:

  1. Ha, there is an article about that in the Star today. They say it's not a good deal unless you actually needed it! I find Costco is usually my trap, I go in there only needing a few things, and get drawn in by so many others...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...