Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Get Those Skulls Off My Kids' Clothes

I don't know what it is, I just can't get my head wrapped around skull images on baby/toddler clothing.  Call me old-fashioned, preppy or out-of-the-loop, but I think it's a bit morbid.  Think about what a skull actually is.

Source
Absolutely no offence to those who may choose to outfit their offspring or relatives in this type of attire, it's just a personal thing for me - like pure white dress shoes and mixing black and navy (although I'm starting to come around on this one).

It seems skulls have become somewhat more main-stream fashion in the past few years as they are everywhere ... including kids' clothing.  I was in the GAP this weekend and they were on their hoodies. They didn't look THAT bad, but when I see a skull, I think of scary, goth, tattoos, hard rock and roll, motorcycle gangs ... not a googly, chubby-cheeked, innocent, sweet baby. 

Maybe it's just me - sorry.  And I must clarify that I have been given some clothing with skulls embroidered and my son does where these articles from time to time.  Although, again, getting dressed for Grandma's house and throw on the skull shirt - not quite.  Ready for your first day of nursery school, time to slip on the pants with the skulls on them - yuck!  Or the best, time for bed my sweetie pie, let's snuggle into your skull jammies ?!? No way jose!

Okay so I'm exaggerating a bit, but not a fan of skulls ... especially on my sweet little boys. They're only little once. And something tells me, oh in about ten years time, skulls and other wonderful symbols will be showing up all over my sons so best try to exude my influence now :)

I will though, take the odd skull here and there if it means I can avoid Sponge Bob Square Pants or whatever the heck his name is.

3 comments:

  1. I agree---represents death----why deck your toddler out in that? Brother...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find particularly disturbing is young girls wearing trackpants that say "juicy" on the bum... Oh and pretty much the whole idea of La Senza girl. Maybe that's just the protective mother of two girls talking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie: I agree. Let's not push anything like that ... ever. I remember when the salespeople at La Senza wore suits and it was a classy place to go ... now I feel old going in.
    when I was in highschool the waists were high and in style were baggy 501 jeans with holes in the knees, leggings with huge!! wool sweaters over top and birkenstocks .. quite the contrast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...