Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Baaaaaaack

New York City was amazing.  Had a wonderful time and the city really surprised me. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I was utterly impressed. It was clean, beautiful, an interesting mix of city and nature, old and new, and I felt safer than I do in Toronto.  I think I was asked for money twice, maybe saw one homeless person and well, our dollar was at par, so no hesitations when perusing their wonderful shopping stores. It's incredible at how many daily references are made to NYC landmarks and I'm excited to now have visuals of a lot of those.

Upon my return, it was great to see my boys. I was wearing a funky hat and big earrings (which i don't normally do) when they picked me up and my son said, "Mommy, me missed you. You pretty. You princess, me king."  Heart melt ... oh and my husband brought flowers! ... then within the hour they were screaming, acting out, spilling entire cups of milk on the floor, quarrelling over toys and officially welcoming their mother home.

I have to be honest the last 18 hours have been very overwhelming and I have experienced multiple and varying emotions.  Satisfied at having a wonderful time away, pleased that my husband did so well and had fun with the boys, fearful of being on my own with both boys today, guilt for not being able to adjust more quickly to life with two energetic and needy boys, gratitude to my mother in law for helping out while I was gone, and bowled over by how different of an effort and energy level is needed in my day-to-day life compared to what was required during the past four.

Here are some pics:
Where it all happens

Time Square's Naked Cowboy

New York Stock Exchange

Statue of Liberty

View of NYC from the water

Three Inch Thick Deli Sandwiches

Central Park - more beautiful than I imagined.
Many more posts to come this week, plus a new look and feel for this blog.  Please stay tuned.

LadySmith

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it was an amazing trip. I have always wanted to go to NYC. My husband worked there for years and we have been meaning for him to give me the tour, but kids, the house, life in general, always get in the way.

    After only having to worry about yourself for a few days, I am sure it is quite an adjustment going back to your daily demands. Just start planning your next getaway, and give yourself another trip to look forward too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog looks AWESOME...and really seems to suit you.

    How did you make your last few pictures look like they do (I'm a million light years behind on technology and really never used a camera growing up...yeah, we are back country.)

    Sounds like a fantastic trip---and that airline---sheesh! It DOES sound like a private jet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheyenne:
    thanks for your comments. Glad you like.
    Arent' the pictures cool. I love the effect. I would never be able to manipulate them myself like that. It's a tool/app that I have on my phone (my husband is a techy not me) called hipstamatic. I just put it on my phone so whenever I use the camera part of my phone I just choose an effect. I love how they turn out.

    Cameras are great but sometimes people forget to look with their own eyes too - looks like you have some beautiful country out your windows to look at with or without a camera :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...