Monday, November 22, 2010

On Your Mark, Get Set, What Am I Going To Wear?

These days, I don't get out much. I mean, I'm not playing my little violin or anything, I just mean, compared to when we didn't have kids and well, we were just "out" a lot more. Not sure doing what exactly as my memory isn't what it used to be but we went "out" a lot.

My husband got invited to a charity event being held tonight - short notice, but hey, a girl has got to jump when she gets an opportunity to get all gussied up and walk on her husband's arm.
Being the silly gal I am, I waited until Sunday evening to try on my various fashion options (very silly considering I was at two malls this weekend and walked past many many very nice stores for moi beckoning for me to enter and flashing their holiday garb through the window).

Luckily, a little black number came through. No, not the new grey dress I bought this fall paired with the black ankle boots from NYC I was conjuring up in my mind ... tried it on, but then dug to the bag of my closet for the ol' faithful.  For this event I am turning to an old friend - a tried and true number I have had for almost a decade, made of beyond-comfortable jersey material (with ruching in all of the right places), got on sale for $39 or something crazy like that and long sleeved (which is so nice for the cold weather).  funny thing is, I bought this dress on a girls' weekend and all of the girls that were in the store bought the same dress because we all loved it (and live in different postal codes). I guarantee you all of my friends have said au revoir to their LBD years ago.

Dressing for these types of evening, business-attire events are a bit tricky.  If it was a gala, that's easier - bust out the sequins, but business attire is a bit more tricky, especially if you're not coming straight from work. You don't want to go too cocktail, don't want to go too casual or super trendy (it is a business event after all).  So this is the dress and this is the look:





It's professional enough to fit in with the suits, dressy enough to fit in with the cocktail people and comfortable enough so I can enjoy some food and walk without teetering and tottering all over the place.

I may try out the opaque black tights and ankle boots tomorrow during nap time, but we shall see.  If it looks brutal, do let me know before 3 p.m. so I can make some revisions.

3 comments:

  1. Your outfit looks great, a very classic look. The shoes compliment the dress really well too. I have a tried and true black dress I can always turn to as well. Best part, other than the ruching all moms require (except Keidi Klum), is that it is wrinkle free and can be stuffed into a suitcase and is still ready-to-wear. Enjoy your night out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot but I think you should be more daring. Try super opaque hose with the booties and no necklace. Will look very New York.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...