Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Taste Buds' Weekend Report

This past weekend was full of culinary delights, attempts, failures and face-stuffing deliciousness.

This post will focus on the somewhat successful Apple Toffee Torte I mentioned on Friday's post.

Well, what can I say?  It was well received, I learned a lot, I don't think it turned out perfect, and there are too many segments to it that are not conducive to a day of errands and nursery school pick ups (it would be a lot easier if you were nestled in at home for the day).  For example, something needs to boil for three hours, the dough needs to refrigerate for an hour and then once a crust needs to be frozen for an hour, etc. etc. Too many lengthy steps.

See below as the Torte comes to fruition:
The dough after one hour of refrigeration


Neat way to make a pie crust using discs of dough

The Pastry shell riding shot gun to pick up my husband en route to friends' house

My friend tossing apples in icing sugar

Voila - the final result
Things I learned:
  • "Scant" cup of something means just shy of a cup while measuring
  • "Blind baking" a pie crust means to pre-cook it slightly without its filling
  • If you boil an unopened can of condensed milk for three hours, it turns into toffee. Who knew?
And lastly but THE most important thing that I knew already but should have reminded myself ...
  • ALWAYS finish making and baking your dessert before drinking more than one glass of wine :)
Worth a try if you love apple and toffee sweetness.

LadySmith

P.S. More food reports on their way

1 comment:

  1. The dessert does look and sounds great, I will have to try it. I agree about the wine, I have always cooked my better Christmas dinners when I have been pregnant...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...