Monday, November 1, 2010

Dryer Sheet Conspiracy

I used to use dryer sheets, you know like bounce.


Now I don't.  And I have to be honest, I don't notice much of a difference.  Maybe a little static cling here and there when I pull out one of the kids' blankets or when two wool socks stick together, but the majority of the time, nothing.

On their website, bounce claims,

"We invented dryer sheets in 1975 and would like to think we played a leading role in inventing the phrase "that great dryer smell." ... That's just one of the benefits of using Bounce dryer sheets... they help control static, and repel lint and hair. Of course, they soften fabrics too!"

Hmmm ... "that great dryer smell" ??  Personally, I don't want to smell like a sheet I bought and threw in my dryer. Either I use a bit more deodorant if that is a concern, hang my clothes on the line outside for some natural aromas or just go with "eau du nothing".  I've already told you my results with static and the whole 'repelling of lint and hair"? How does it do that? And do I want that stuff on my clothes and on my skin?  If one of my blond hairs wants to get stuck to a black shirt, I think it's going to do so regardless of whether a bounce sheet or any other fabric softener sheet was in my dryer or not.

"And making my fabrics softer"?  Haven't noticed a difference.  This coming from a girl who grew up with the bounce sheet. I fondly remember my Mom religiously shoving one in each load as it exited the washing machine and headed for the dry cycle.

I just wanted to let everyone know that those sheets aren't doing much in my opinion and my family and I, we're doing just fine without them.

Save yourself some money.

LadySmith

10 comments:

  1. I agree! I used to be a religious bounce fabric softener sheet user, but they don't make much of a difference. I mix about half a cup of white vinegar in with my laundry detergent for extra freshness, especially with linens. It does a great job of boosting that fresh smell without all of the chemicals.
    Also, I have a cat that proved dryer sheets didn't work very well at repelling hair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily-Jane: welcome. So glad you're following.
    Interesting re: the white vinegar. Thanks for the tip. And you can't smell the sharpness of the vinegar at all? and do you find it helps with stains too?
    Glad there's atleast two of us in the anti-bounce club :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't smell the vinegar at all when the clothes come out of the washer. I fill my laundry detergent (a concentrated one) up to the 1 or 2 line on the cap and then top off the cap with vinegar.

    I came upon the tip when I was searching for ways to remove cat pee smells from fabric - my cat was sick and peed inside multiple times, but detergent alone wasn't cutting it and there was a lingering ammonia smell. Sometimes our towels can smell musty when they've been sitting in the bottom of the laundry bin for a week waiting to be washed, so one week I threw in some vinegar with the detergent and have been doing it ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...may I wade into this discussion....?! I too have stopped using Bounce and/or fabric softener products with no adverse effects. However, the best use for a Bounce sheet is in a hockey or gym bag! It does help to make the whole athletic thing more palatable. As for vinegar....throw half a cup in your dishwasher once a month to keep it fresh. This tip I got from the repair desk at Miele.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy: welcome and thanks for the tip on the athletic bags .. hockey season is beginning for hubby so maybe I'll buy him a box as a hint :)
    when you put vinegar in your dishwasher ... do you put it where you would normally put your soap?
    Emily - thanks for the clarification. I can't wait to try it for my towels. I really don't like the stale towel smell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have used the vinegar to add to water when cleaning floors, I never thought of trying it in the laundry. Definitely trying that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LadySmith: I recently bought Downey sheets. They were not for the dryer but to repel mice. Every fall those cute creatures get trapped. I read that there is so much anti fungal chemicals in fabric softener that mice don’t go near it. Results are great no mice in the basement and all I do is replace the dryer sheets monthly. Other benefit is the musty summer smell was eliminated. Good information for the soon to be cottage owners . Put dryer sheets in drawers ,on counters and on furniture to repel those creatures when you close up for a long period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anon:
    That is a great idea. I haven't heard of that one before. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You re in point of fact a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity on this subject! OVEN REPAIR AND SERVICE IN SANTA BARBARA, CA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Typically, experienced technicians make provisional diagnoses. Most of them tend to bring the right parts when they visit your premises to check the product. And this can helps you save a lot of money on labor cost. In addition, Top Rated Ice Maker Repair in Riverside

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...