Monday, November 8, 2010

Dear Kidless Friends: I'm Sorry

Dear my friends with and without kids: 

I'm sorry. 

I'm sorry I don't call more.

I'm sorry I'm not available on a whim to get together.

I'm sorry I don't like getting together on Saturdays because that is time I love to spend with my family. 

Being a mom changes a lot.  Spare time and energy levels are the biggies ... not to mention stomach shape as I have mentioned previously here, sleep required to function, vacation destinations, one's acceptance of bodily excrement and the approval of the minivan.

I am fortunate to have wonderful friends whom (I think) understand all of these things. We connect, share and meet when we can.  The gaps in between, well, they could always be smaller, but we always seem to pick up exactly where we left off.

Apparently, everyone out there is not so fortunate as to have understanding friends who "get it".  If you haven't read this article yet from the Washington Post, it's a goodie.  I will say though, although the article attempts to be specific, it's impossible to capture exactly the chaos that is life with kids as a stay-at-home mom.  Why do you think so many women say they go back to work for the break? :) Toughest job I've ever had, but the non-monetary rewards are the best!

Enjoy!

LadySmith

3 comments:

  1. A friend of mine sent me that same article a month or two ago and although I very rarely forward emails, boy was I quick to forward that one. I remember when I first went back to work after having my first child, and it really did seem like such a break. I could make a snack when I wanted, go to the bathroom when I wanted, run errands (alone!) on my lunch and on my way home from work. Now, especially having two, it definitely feels more hectic being at home than if I were at work, and requires way more patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah-I so agree. I read a quote today: "be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter, don't mind and those that mind, don't matter".

    I'm enjoying looking around your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheyenne: welcome. hope you like. Like the quote a lot.
    glad you ladies enjoyed the article.

    LadySmith

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...